We nabbed ace game designer Brandon Bozzi for a great, funny interview about the design process and the economy of free-to-play games. We’re sad to report that Smash Squad, the game he was working on and discussing, has been axed since we recorded this, but we felt that the conversation was worth hearing anyway. We hope to have Brandon back on in the near future to talk about his next project, which for now must remain a mystery.
Tag Archives: iOS
We run the gamut of nerd emotions from wild enthusiasm to sputtering envy as we discuss the delightful iOS-only mobile game Fallout Shelter. It’s sweet, fun, and as thoughtfully executed as every other Fallout game (except that mythically horrible Xbox game we never speak of). And Rob will never play it.
- Mary’s enthusiastic, pic-filled post on Fallout Shelter.
- The ultraglam Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition
- You don’t need the aforementioned Pip-Boy to use the in-game companion app, fortunately–but FYI, if you do get the fancy Pip-Boy, it only fits these phones (TLDR: newer iPhones and Samsung Galaxy models).
- You can find infinite numbers of deeply hilarious Fallout Shelter screenshots on Tumblr.
- Here’s that Fallout 4 (or any pre-ordered game) offer that gets you 15,000 XBL “Rewards Credits,” which = $15.
- Here’s that Zombocalypse game with renameable survivors Paul mentioned: Rebuild (iOS / Android). Read his fun piece in The Stranger here.
- Paul mentioned that Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag would be a free Games for Gold game starting on July 1st.
Nerdhole’s email thread regarding Fallout: Shelter:
Ugh I can’t help it, I’m totally doing in-app purchases. Fallout: Shelter has taken over my iOS life. I don’t play SimCity, I don’t play Frozen, I ONLY PLAY FALLOUT: SHELTER.
I’m constantly worried about my vault dwellers! And if I send one out into the wasteland to forage I have to keep checking my phone to make sure he or she is ok. I’m about to spend my third $4 on supplies. I’m writing this in an effort to put it off, but who am I kidding? Eventually I will spend it!!
Paul, have you been playing?
I got about five minutes into Fallout: Shelter and backed away in fear of just what you’re describing! But I think I may try again. The min-maxing pressure of where to place things and what things to place and being locked into your choices stresses me out—but I’m sure there’s an IAP to help with that!
Yeah my first vault I just started placing things, so then I made a second vault to try to be more organized, but actually my first vault is thriving better. I just had a crisis where I couldn’t figure out why my dwellers were all sad and then I realized they all had radiation poisoning, and now they’re getting happy again.
I do wish you could shift stuff around like in SimCity. Even though you start with a core area and just start plunking stuff down, you can always move and reorganize.
Also you can NAME your dwellers, which is awesome. I haven’t started doing that yet, but it’s cool you can customize.
Wow. Just throw this thread up as a post, title it “WARNING,” then walk away.
Done and done.
More screenshots from my vault: