This week’s podcast (which drops Tuesday) is all about Free Comic Book Day, with special guest and comics lore-master Paul Constant—but we wanted to get our more expansive guide up so you can plan your day.
This year Free Comic Book Day is Saturday, May 2. It’s pretty simple, really: Just head on over to your favorite comics retailer and pick up one (or sometimes more, but try to stay cool) of the 50 different free titles on offer. Many shops will also have special deals, so be sure to linger and check out what else is on offer.
Quite a few local shops are participating. Many have sales and related events, and we dug up all we could find—but if you spot any omissions or have more details, please drop us a line at email@example.com and let us know:
- Arcane Comics and More
- Comics Dungeon: Sale prices on merchandise, signings by G. Willow Wilson (Ms. Marvel, Cairo, A-Force) 2-4pm and Chris Sheridan (Motorcycle Samurai) 10am-noon.
- The Dreaming
- DreamStrands Comics and Collectibles: Sale prices on merchandise, signing by Nicola Leonard-Beeson 1pm-, game demos, and raffle.
- Golden Age Collectibles
- Phoenix Comics & Games: Up to 8 free comics (4 more with purchase), 2d6% sale on merchandise, signings by Margaret Trauth (Decrypting Rita) 11am-3pm, Chris Sheridan (Motorcycle Samurai) 4-6pm, Colleen Frakes (Tragic Relief, Trials of Sir Christopher, Saint’s Eyes) time TBD.
- Zanadu Comics: Up to 2 free comics.
- Subspace Comics: Up to 10 free comics, sale prices on merchandise, in-store appearances by Rat City Roller Girls (Throttle Rockets), signings 11am-2pm by Ryan Fisher (Torchlight Lullaby), Diana Greenhalgh (The Illegitimates), Matthew Southworth (Stumptown, Spider-Man).
These are a few of the free comics available that we talk about on the podcast:
- Avengers #1: “All-New, All-Different” means “Okay, we get it, you want more diversity in super-teams.” We’ll accept ham-fistedness in the service of doing what’s right, plus we’re suckers for anything involving Kamala Khan.
- Bongo Comics Free-For-All!: Simpsons stories!
- BOOM! Studios 10th Anniversary FCBD Special: On the podcast, Rob tried to do this one justice in Mary’s stead. It features stories from Adventure Time, Regular Show, Peanuts, Lumberjanes, Mouse Guard, and more.
- Comics Festival: Canadian short story anthology.
- Dark Horse Fight Club: Yes, that Fight Club. Chuck Pahlaniuk is writing and we’re intrigued. Back-up stories from The Goon and Guillermo del Toro’s The Strain.
- DC Comics Divergence: Everything changes, again.
- Hip-Hop Family Tree 3-in-1 featuring Cosplayers: Fantagraphics’ entry features pages from Ed Piskor’s terrific history of hip-hop plus a new cosplay story from Dash Shaw.
- Secret Wars #0: Everything changes, again (Marvel version).
There are many, many more–but not all are available at every participating store. Call ahead and get there early!
That’s all we’ve got. What are your favorite comics shops and/or titles? Where will we see you on Saturday? Comments are open!
(And before you go, make sure you check out Mark Hamill promoting FCBD. We think he’s imitating Patton Oswalt imitating Mark Hamill.)