Marriage in video games adds humor, pathos, and practical support — just like IRL. Different games incorporate spouses in different ways. Some are smart, some are tacked on, and some are windows into the dark souls of game writers. We look at our favorite game spouses and highlight some affecting (and off-putting, and downright weird) moments from in-game marriage.
- Mary’s Skyrim wife Aela
- Mary’s Skyrim husband Roggi
- Rob’s Fallout 2 husband Davin
- Poignantly dated short piece on Rob’s Temple of Elemental Evil husband Bertram (The sixth gayest video game character as of 2006)
- Very nice piece on the emotional effects of in-game romance in the Mass Effect series
- Long, thoughtful explainer on the design of Krem from Dragon Age Inquisition